If you support a pregnant woman’s right to bodily autonomy and integrity, whether she is suicidal or not, you should know which election candidates oppose this fundamental human right.
The Life Institute has helpfully asked Irish European and Local Election candidates whether they support the repeal of the legislation which permits abortion on suicide grounds.
They only asked Independent, Fianna Fail, Direct Democracy and Green candidates, because the other political parties voted to legalise limited abortion last year.
Because of this survey, we now know that the following eleven European Election candidates would vote to legally force a suicidal woman to continue an unwanted pregnancy.
- Raymond Whitehead, Direct Democracy Ireland
Midland North West
- Thomas Byrne, Fianna Fail
- Pat the Cope Gallagher, Fianna Fail
- Marian Harkin, Independent
- Ronan Mullen, Independent
- Brian Crowley, Fianna Fail *
- Diarmuid Flynn, Independent
- Kieran Hartley, Fianna Fail
- Theresa Heaney, Catholic Democrat Party
- Peter O’Loughlin, Independent
- Donal O Riordain, Fis Nua
* Brian Crowley didn’t answer the specific question asked, but said that he has always been and continues to be pro-life.
You can read more details here.
The Life Institute has also prepared a list of local election candidates who you might not want to vote for if you support a pregnant woman’s right to bodily autonomy.