Thank you for the International Atheist of the Year Award 2017

by Michael Nugent on April 2, 2017

Warsaw AwardI was honoured to jointly receive the International Atheist of the Year 2017 award, along with Fauzia Ilyas of the Pakistani Atheist Association, at the Polish Days of Atheism in Warsaw this weekend. I accepted the award on behalf of all of the work done by everybody in Atheist Ireland.

The Polish Days of Atheism include an international conference on atheism and secularism, and an annual commemoration of the execution for Atheism of 17th Century Polish philosopher Kazimierz Lyszczynski. Jane Donnelly and I attended this year, and we spoke on freedom of belief, women’s rights and the right to die.

A jury of atheist activists from different countries decide on the annual award. It is intended to recognise and encourage the promotion of Atheism and secularism, as well as international cooperation between atheist and secular organisations. Previous recipients are:

2014 – Maryam Namazie, Council Ex-Muslims of Britain
2014 – Sanal Edamaruku, Indian Rationalist Association
2015 – Waleed el-Husseini, Palestinian writer
2016 – Mario Ramadan, Freethought Lebanon

It is indeed an honour to be associated with such dedicated and principled activists for atheism, secularism and human rights.

Be Sociable, Share!

1 Joe Hayes April 3, 2017 at 2:31 am

Well deserved Michael! Keep up the good work.

2 Mark Jones April 3, 2017 at 9:36 am

Congratulations Michael, well deserved.

3 Michael Nugent April 3, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Thank you, Joe and Mark.

4 An Ardent Skeptic April 16, 2017 at 5:21 am

My most sincere congratulations for a well-deserved award, Michael!!

(Sorry I didn’t post this sooner. I’m afraid I’ve been a bit under the weather since mid-March. You must know how difficult it can be to handle other illnesses while also undergoing treatment for cancer. My common cold required urgent care and emergency room visits.)

Congratulations, once again!!! Please, keep up the award winning work. It’s needed!!!

5 Brendan April 16, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Congratulations Michael! It is well deserved for all your tireless work on behalf of atheists and other minorities in Ireland and elsewhere.

6 David Boots April 17, 2017 at 12:42 am

An incredible achievement.

7 Lancelot Gobbo April 20, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Well done, Michael. You’re an exemplar of atheist activism as it should be.

8 Shatterface April 20, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Fantastic news for you and Fauzia!

9 Jerry April 20, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Congratulations. PZ must be fuming :)

10 Michael Nugent April 21, 2017 at 1:57 am

Thank you to everyone who has commented here. As I said, I see it as a recognition of the work everyone in Atheist Ireland has been doing.

Ardent Skeptic, I appreciate that you are taking time to comment given what you are going through. I hope you are feeling strong.

11 An Ardent Skeptic April 22, 2017 at 5:58 am

Thanks, Michael!!!

I’m feeling much better even though I ended up with pneumonia. I’m very fortunate to be receiving treatment from one of the top oncologist in her field. I’m even more fortunate that my niece works for my oncologist as a nurse so I’m getting very personal service. :-)

Two weeks ago I spent the night in the emergency room as I was having very severe chest pains and difficulty breathing. My niece spent the night with me while also keeping the emergency room staff on their toes, and the oncologist was keeping herself fully informed of my condition and all of my test results despite being at a party to celebrate her own wedding anniversary. I couldn’t possible ask for better care.